Pages

September 20, 2014

Rigor: scrupulous or inflexible accuracy or adherence

I saw a blog post in the #ccourses feed about rigor and wanted to comment; DOH - I did not even notice that the blog was restricted to "team members" before I had typed out my comment. 


So.... here is the comment I was going to leave. This is a topic on which I have much more to say, but just the dictionary definition of RIGOR says a lot! :-)

~ ~ ~

I really agree with these goals, but rigor just is not the right word, is it? "Rigor means well-designed and meaningful experience in courses that connect students with their colleagues, with the instructor and with the content, as well as the things that actually matter are the critical thinking and the literacy skills"
That simply is not what rigor means in any common usage. Just to confirm my own very negative impression of the word rigor, I looked it up, and the dictionary definition was even WORSE than I expected!
So, I'm all for meaningful experiences. Rigor does not seem like the right banner to wave for that though...
Rigor defined.